Monday, September 10, 2007

first day of kindergarten

The big day has finally arrived! Alex gets to start kindergarten! He has been so excited for weeks and especially since Ashlyn got to start a week earlier, Alex has been itching for his turn. At our school kindergarten starts a week later than the other grades. It is supposed to be for the teachers to be able to do assessments, but I think it is for the moms to ease into the transition easier. Jane and I are really going to miss him (for the little under three hours he is gone), but I am sure the time will fly and I will wonder yet again why Utah is one of the few states that has half-day kindergarten.


Alex gets to walk with his best friend Mason Ludlow. Mason's mom and I are walking behind them and listening to the current conversation about animals and superheros and all the other things these two boys are interested in.

I just keep thinking, "Alex is so ready for this" while hearing from Mason's mom, "I am not ready for this, I have been crying for the past few days."

"Why am I so calm?" I wonder. He just seems so grown up, its like Ashlyn already broke me into this and now I see Alex as this big school boy, reading and thinking through things so intellectually. It just makes sense. He is ready!

A few days before school started, he confided in me that he was a little nervous.
Alex: "I had a dream that Mrs. Bellnap asked me to read a really hard book in front of the class and I didn't know the words. All the kids were laughing at me. Is that how school is Mom?"
Me: "Oh, honey, that won't happen, there will be kids who can't read yet, and they won't laugh at you even if you don't know all the words."
It did make me just a tiny bit nervous that I suddenly can't be there all the time to make sure he isn't laughed at or just to reassure him that he is smart and great and wonderful...well I guess its all part of growing up for me and him. I love you handsome boy, have fun at school!




0 comments: