Friday, February 1, 2008

in six weeks...


In six weeks Sidney turned our lives upside down! She has spent nearly half of her life in a hospital!
  • 3 days when she was born
  • then at 3 weeks old, she spent 3 more days at American Fork hospital for RSV
  • after being immediately life-flighted to Primary Children's Medical Center, she ended up spending 13 days in the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit)
  • finally, 4 days on the regular "floor" of the infant unit to fully recover

From bad to worse, first just on oxygen in American Fork hospital, then on EVERYTHING in Primary's. She had a total of 5 IVs, 10 tries for a PICC line, so many pokes in her heels they had to move on to toes and fingers to test her blood. She had to be intubated for the life-flight, and with that came the ventilator, and feeding tube, and of course oxygen for the duration. Honestly the worst thing we have ever gone through! Every neighbor, friend and especially family member has helped, prayed, and fasted for us and Sidney. THANK YOU!!!

They had to put her ID on her leg in the form of a sticker, since there was not an extra limb to put a bracelet around. All the machines they had on her, and the medical personnel were quite impressive. Not so impressive...when the alarms of all these high-tech machines go off! We had quite a few scares even in the hospital, from blockages in the tube, to bradycardia episodes where they were just about to start compressions! All in all a real nightmare!



Much better! This is after the scare of the PICU, on the "floor", she only had oxygen and some monitors on her. I could actually hold her and feed her and just had to wait around to be discharged (4 more days). At home, we are still on O2. I have a 50 foot long tube to watch wherever she goes. After everything we had been through, it's a relief to see her so much better! She is so cute and fun and even when she cries (hoarse still from being intubated), I LOVE to hold her, and smell her non-hospital smell, and kiss her still-soft skin (not on her face, and still using hand-sanitizer, but hold her still the same)!

10 comments:

Dave Clark said...

Mindy,

Thank you for posting these pictures to help us all remember how thankful we are that Sidney is OK. Both you and Ben displayed a toughness in the situation that will benefit you in your futures.

Deborah said...

I just heard about this from Sue the other day. I am so sorry that things were so rough. We are glad that she is home and doing better now. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Deb & Steve

Lori said...

Oh my gosh Mindy - what a horrible experience! I'm so glad Sidney is doing better! What a beautiful little angel!

Thanks for sharing your blog with me, I've enjoyed seeing your cute family!

You take care - of yourself - and that sweet baby!

Love, Lori Faux

Lilet said...

Cute pictures! Even with the O2 hooked up to her, she is a beautiful baby! :) I'm so glad she is doing better.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad she's ok. I heard that she was in the hospital from Nat a few weeks ago. It's a scary thing. Kaylan (now 2) had RSV at 4 weeks and we spent a week up at Primary's as well. Very scary time of my life. I have always been so grateful for technology to save my little one. Glad you're ok!

Sheena Menke said...

I couldn't get through the post without crying, but she is one beautiful little baby. That last picture of her just melts my heart. I'm so glad that she is home now, just hearing about the experience was horrible, I can't imagine having to live it. You and Ben are my heroes.

Rachie said...

I am so sorry, Mindy. We went through something similiar with Ethan. It is a complete nightmare and a true test of Faith. I am so glad she is on the mend.

Cortney Chambers said...

Mindy, I am so glad you are home and she is doing better! Now with this crazy winter we are having you can just stay home until April! She is such a beautiful baby. Take Care!

NatRat said...

Hey Mindy, it is Nat Richards (VanWag) got your link from Mandy's. Congrats on your new little one, she is darling. Hang in there, Bode had oxygen for about a month at home, and it was hard to get use to. But by the time he was able to breath without it, it was awesome! Your doing awesome and I hope she continues to get better. It was good to read about your fam, they are super cute.

Debbie Savage said...

I am so happy to hear that Syndey is doing okay after all she has been through. You are one strong Mommy! She is beautiful!!!