Sunday, July 13, 2008

180.5 (something) miles of insanity!


Ben has this drive to do things most people would wonder why: hiking tall mountains, running marathons, and as of last year, he wanted to run the Wasatch Back. The Wasatch Back is a relay race of 180 + miles from Logan to Park City! It took more than 28 hours to complete, yes, that's all night long.
Ben doesn't have what he considers a "runner's body", and though he has run three marathons and a few half marathons, in this race, each of the 12 runners run three "legs" of the race ranging from "very hard" to "easy" runs (I'd really like to meet the expert who gets to slap those labels on). This year he helped get a group of friends and friends of friends to run this insane race. They are the "Ragnar Refugees"
I'm pretty sure spending almost 30 hours in a suburban full of stinky guys cheering each other on through awful runs in obscure towns of Utah makes you life-long brothers.
This is Craig, Steve, and Ben before they ran, then Ben while running in the heat of the 1st day.
Ben is happy and relieved after his first run.
Ben's sister Heather let them use her suburban.
The first runner, Allen is getting ready for his 7 miles!
Wayland, Craig, Justin, Steve, Allen, and Ben
The whole group of Ragnar Refugees! These guys are champions!!!
I can't wait to find out what Ben is dreaming of next! I can't imagine being more impressed!

8 comments:

Mindi B said...

CRAZY!! But, hey, if I was a runner, I would rather run there than anywhere else!

Shawna Wilson said...

They are crazy! But hey - way to go Ben!

Meg and Terr said...

Haha...ok I know you think he's crazy but tell him that the next time he does something like that, me and my husband are totally in! We ran our first half marathon in April and hope that will be the first of many. It was so good to see you at the reunion...when my Terr and I get back we'll come look at houses near you! :)

NatRat said...

Collin and I just signed up for the Ragner next year...I think we are crazy, but I am excited to have some fun, no sleep, being delirious, laughing...sounds pretty fun to me.

Debbie Savage said...

Holy cow, that is impressive! Go, Ben!

Shawna Wilson said...

Hey I tagged you on my blog so now you have something to post about - no more teasing from James! Wait, is that even possible???

james said...

Mindy you need to update your blog, every day my life feels sad without update. I will tell the world "My name is James Schrader and i read Mindy Gillan's BLOG"

Jennifer Phillips said...

Hey I was blog stalking and I came across Shaundees Blog and even though Seth won't admit it he was blog stalking with me and we saw your name on hers anywho we just wanted to say hi and hope everything is going well