Monday, November 3, 2008

Bad mom day

I am ready to just admit to it, I am having a really "bad mom" day. I have made each of my children cry for reasons ranging from not feeding them on time to getting angry when they wouldn't get ready for school this morning. I have given them terrible food choices including, but not excluding, butter and honey for lunch, candy for snack, and cereal for dinner! (Ben made breakfast). I have almost totally given up on laundry, dishes, and picking up the house.
What am I doing, you may be wondering? Sitting and coughing (big surprise), nursing and crying (Sidney now has teeth and is apparently not latching well without deep teeth marks whenever I nurse her), and finally getting caught up on reading blogs (well mostly).
I should have just gone to the gym this morning instead of complaining about how sore I am from Saturday's workout. I should have gone to the grocery store choosing healthy snacks to help offset the candy snacks. I should have made cute little notes of apology for my kids after loosing my patience before school. I hate sending them off setting the tone for the day all negative and awful. At least Ben and I went to the park today (haha).
Why am I even stooping so low as to write about this day and showcasing this uneventful, guilt-riddled day? Because last night at our family dinner, we watched a few family movie clips that made me think, "Wow! My parents were/are just about perfect!" Now my own kids will never have to feel bad about their own parenting skills, the bar has been lowered significantly. You're welcome kids.

11 comments:

Sheena Menke said...

Oh my goodness Mindy, this was so not a bad mom day. If giving your kids candy for snack and getting frustrated with them a little makes you a bad mom then I'm pretty sure we are all in trouble. You are one of the sweetest moms in the world and your kids are so blessed to have you. By the way I'm totally impressed that you worked out hard enough on Saturday to still be sore on Monday, I think that means you earned a day off from the gym.

keeley said...

Mindy - long time, no talk, huh?! Your blog is so darn cute and I'm laughing out loud right now because, seriously, I am positive you are a great mom! Any day now I think my kids will likely turn into hot dogs and their skin will turn yellow from all the mac and cheese. And candy? Pretty much a dietary staple. So, hang in there! We all have days where we wish we could have stayed in bed under the covers ;-) Let's keep in touch! We can compare 'bad mommy' stories! :-)

Mindi B said...

Oh, man! You are a much better mom than you give yourself credit! I have had many mommy days like yours and I, too, wonder what is wrong with me sometimes (No mom of the year awards for me), but then I am reminded that being a mom IS hard and we are not supposed to be perfect - thank goodness. I've seen you with your kids and you are simply great!

Megan said...

We all have days like this. You aren't a bad mom - you are normal. Plus you found time to work out so hard you are sore for days with all that you do? Extra gold star for that!

Shannon said...

I of course agree with what everyone else has written. However, if you need a reason to feel better about yourself let me paint a picture of what a terrifying mother looks like. She is 8 months pregnant and is so tired and sore that she feeds her kids CHEETOS & POP TARTS FOR BREAKFAST!!! Pretty horrifing wouldn't you agree?

Chelsea said...

Mindy, I shouldn't admit that because you wrote this, it made my day (I must be of the "crab" pull-you-down mentality!), but it did!! You are hilarious, and I also laughed out loud! I also shouldn't admit that it was my sister in law who told me about your funny post (she must be able to keep up on blogs, a foreign concept to me, especially ones that link to mine), but she said it was hilarious...she was right!
If an awesome Mom like you can think you are somehow ruining your kids by a little candy and frustration, I don't know who you are modeling after!! It makes me feel better (again, crab mentality) that someone so amazing also can lose her cool now and again! I did come away watching those videos and thinking the same thing about our parents, however. The only consolation we have is this: our sister's "time out" place was in the garage where she could scream without us killing our ears, even in the winter, although the warm cat and sleeping bag made up for that...!!!

Lilet said...

Don't worry, we all have those days! In fact I had one this morning when I kept getting after my boys all morning for being naughty just to find out they both have ear infections. So yes, how great am I that I get mad at my kids all day and they really can't help it cuz they don't feel good... :) I'm just impressed that you actually went to the gym, kudos to you!!

Debbie Savage said...

You are a sweetheart! I love you to death! I love the fact that you blogged about it! I am glad I am not the only one having a "bad mom day!" Thanks for keeping it real!

mikeandash said...

That's funny you wrote this. I was telling Mike not too long ago what a great mom I think you are. Watching you with your kids has helped me be a better mom.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Holy cow! You have me laughing!!! I am totally a worse mom than you! It great to know that i am not the only one who feels like this. I'm syre you are an absolutely fabulous mom and in 20 years your daughters will be doing the exact same thing you are doing!!!

lori said...

I am pretty sure you have had 10 comments because we can all relate! I appreciate when people can BE REAL and admit they are not perfect, And i thought we are allowed bad mom days every once in awhile! And by the way, I have bad mom WEEKS. so there.