So, I keep waiting for a "perfect day" to blog about to redeem myself from my last post. I still don't have a camera that works...(my birthday and Christmas are both this month, so yes, Ben, that's a hint.)
Most days start out on the right path, I've made all the beds and picked up the c-r-a-p around the house I spell it. It doesn't seem so awful spelled out, plus, I need to know I can still spell things, I've gotten into workout clothes, all ready to break the 2+ weeks of unworkouts, but before I can actually workout, I remember I have a ward Christmas party to plan and since the Activities Committee is coming to my house in 15minutes, I need to be dressed in real clothes right away. Suddenly, Jane says, "Mom, Sidney has leaves in her hand! Eeeew! Not leaves Mom, poop!!!" Sidney's first and hopefully last poop bath.
Some days start off with me in pajamas, and when my kids come home from school, and I am still in pajamas, I figure I am not going to be able to salvage it, and I just give in to the housewifeness of it all. I finally figured out I am not due to have another day like this and am ready to accept it. As soon as I fix one thing another is bound to unfix.
I have finally come to realize why my day will never be "perfect". It is always a set of choices: Either me or my kids look good. Either the dishes or the laundry get done that's totally because of my dislike for both. Either the ironing or the straightening once I remain stationary for too long, the whole house falls apart around me. Either errands or housework. Either good mom, or good wife or good friend. Extended family or immediate family. Either blogging or facebook. Either scriptures and prayer, or stories and fun and then threatening and not fun before bed. Either the outside of my house looks good, or the inside (or maybe neither).
Since yesterday, I watched kids, had an infusion, picked up from piano, and then drove to dance. I made a terrible dinner and left some of the dishes to do this morning.
Today, I am trying to do some shopping for the ward Christmas party, finish cutting the dead flowers out of my gray flower beds, and finally get a flier out for our neighborhood Christmas party before all of my neighbors get their gifts out and the whole thing will be needless!
But instead, I am sitting in my room, looking at a basket of laundry I need to fold and put away, not to mention a pile of ironing that will soon be tall enough to peek out the window and announce to my neighbors that I also hate ironing!!! Choices.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Choices
Posted by Mindy at 1:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
From the outside looking in you look like the perfect housewife, mom, wife, and friend! Seriously Mindy you always look great, your house looks great, and you're a great friend! It's good to know you have normal days like the rest of us. ;)
Mindy
I so love you! This was the perfect post. This is my life, and I only have one child ... well another on the way ... I think I use the "I'm pregnant so that's why" too much as of late. Thanks for saying it all so well and helping us all feel like we aren't alone. Love you!
Amanda
Haha, you are doing a great job of making me be excited to be a mom :) ok, I hope that didn't make me sound like I am pregnant....cause I'm not, but I just think you are hilarious...and the poop story! Priceless :) Let's talk about how we live so close and never see each other...someday you need to REALLy meet my husband!
I read this post several days ago and it has really stuck with me. (I even referenced it in my latest post...I hope that's okay!) You were able to put into words something I have struggled with for years. I now feel that I have more liberty to let some things slide, as I'm busy doing other things. Beautiful! =)
Don't be hard on yourself Mindy! All wives/moms are in the same situation, even if they hide it well :) I think you do a great job. I only have one baby and I still feel like I can only accomplish 2 things a day, tops! I found out my mother in law even thinks she needs to come help me clean me house once a month! Aah!
Great post. We all feel like this sometimes and it is reassuring to know I am not alone. Mostly because you are one of those glas that seems to have everything together all the time! Great job on the ward Christmas party by the way!
LOVED this post. Sums up perfectly every moms challenges and the more-choices-than-time quicksand we get mired in.
Thanks for the Christmas card. You have a beautiful family cuz!
Post a Comment