
We were all up early one morning in the beginning of March, and were discussing what to have for breakfast. Ben suddenly suggested we keep the kids out of school for a couple of hours, so we could all go to the Draper temple open house.
I showered and got the kids ready, did my makeup in the car on the way (as usual when Ben is driving), and we were in car in less than an hour! I absolutely love that we can be spontaneous, it makes things so fun sometimes!
It had snowed early that morning, so it was chilly, but clear and beautiful and clean looking all around as we drove. We arrived in the church down the hill from the temple and watched a movie about the temple and a little about the history of Draper, then took a quick bus ride up to the temple. Jane was thrilled! She has "always wanted to ride a bus, and it's white too!" I guess yellow is not her favorite color. In my journal, I wrote about a woman who told us how cute our family is and she didn't think I was old enough to have these kids, wow! What a complement! I just thought I'd mention that shallow part too!
Going through the rooms of the temple, I tried to whisper little things to the kids, but I wonder if they'll remember any of what I said. I hope they will at least remember feeling the spirit and the want to come back. In fact, while we were waiting for the bus on the return trip, I asked the kids about their favorite part. Ashlyn said, "the baptismal font" Alex said, "yeah, and just all of it, I want to go again!" and Jane said, "the sparkles!" The chandelier in one of rooms made her so happy, she forgot to whisper when she said, "Oh, Mom! Look!"
When I was a kid, I vividly remember going to the Jordan River Temple open house and thinking, "Wow, this is where my parents go on dates!" Now I get to be the one who goes on dates there, who got married there, and who gets to feel closer to my Heavenly Father there! I know there has been some controversy over the temples and I love what our church has put out concerning them on lds.org. I pray my kids do get to go back many times in the future and they will remember the experience they had at this one!
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Draper Temple open house
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm sure they will remember. I remember going to the Denver open house when I was 3. Katelyn keeps asking if we can go to the temple again. It is just so cute that she loved it so much.
What a wonderful experience! Way to be spontaneous and go to the temple... You are setting a great example for your children. (And yes, you DO look TOO young to have children. You are a doll! Those mommy compliments are the best!)
Loved reading that, and laughed at your "shallow" comment! This is a post your kids will love reading--and they'll think how cool of a mom they have!
Chelsea
i loved the draper temple. so beautiful. i remember going through the jordan river one too, it was so exciting. i specifically remember putting on the booties. kind of nice they don't have you do that anymore. and i agree with the lady, you look to young to have these kids. your great:)
That is such a sweet post--I'm glad you recorded that. I still remember the Jordan River open house, too. What sweet memories your kids will have.
Miss you!
Hey Mindy it's Nat. I just read your comment about the family pic of mine. lindsayrossphotography.com she is awesome! You might know her, her maiden name is Thueson, she went to Alta, a couple years younger than us. I highly recommend her:)
Post a Comment