Sunday, April 6, 2008

Too Small, Too Big?



Sidney's first set of clothes are already too small for her. Problem is, the next set is a little big!

It makes me sad and nostalgic when this happens to my babies (by "this", I mean, "getting bigger"). I have a special milk supply that apparently makes my babies into perfectly oval butterballs, complete with a budha belly and amazing legs!
It is when I first notice them plump out that I begin to think of them as big! And if I think Sidney is big, what does that make Jane, Alex, and especially Ashlyn? Of course, in my mind, I am still the perfect age of 25! Ashlyn is turning eight next week! WOW!

Jane wrote pen on Sidney's face, this picture is AFTER I tried to get it off!!!

Watching General Conference today made me think of all the ways I need to try to slow down my life and make sure I am making the most of this time. The truth is, I AM LOVING IT and I really don't want it to end! I have never really been one to want to go back to a certain time in my life and do it over, but I had a neighbor come by and mention how she would love to spend a half a day back in her life when her kids were younger and she could hold them and give them every bit of her attention. I can already feel myself feeling like this time is not enough. I really love to hold them when they are babies, but I also love to see them figure things out and try to act like they are big stuff. I love when they are starting school and I get to help them do homework and read. I even love when they are really finding themselves and we can talk about friends, teachers and joke and play together. I guess that is why I am perfectly happy right now, because I have one in each of those stages!

This week, even before I heard it at conference, I had made it a goal to spend more one-on-one time with each of my kids. Whether its lying in bed with them and talking before they fall asleep, or making homemade playdough and letting them choose the color. I am trying to make the most of the time I am sitting nursing Sidney too. I read with Alex, play school with Jane, and direct Ashlyn in her homework. The real sad thing is, I will still not do enough and will regret my inability to not do IT ALL. I guess that's why we still get to keep trying!

6 comments:

mikpits said...

Ben & Mindy,

Congratulations on Sydney ! what a beautiful little girl. I can tell Ben and Alex will have a tough time with the balance of power tipped to the feminine side. But knowing Ben's easy going good nature you'll do fine.

We love and miss you from the 1st ward but hear you're doing great things in your life.

May you continue to be blessed,
Mike Pitts

Shannon said...

What a nice comment from Bishop Pitts! I think you are a wonderful mother and very wise. When I grow-up I want to be just like you.

Shannon said...

Hey it's me again. As you know I am making my blog private and you commented that you wanted to be invited so I need your email my dear.

Lilet said...

I love those pictures of Sidney's clothes on her! :) And I love the background that you put on!

Shawna Wilson said...

OK Sidney looks exactly like Jane did! I can't believe how fast she has chunked up...it's so dang CUTE! And good job with the background, very very cute! See ya Sunday!

* said...

Hello! I found your blog through Shaundee's blog. Very cute. We also have a Sidney (we spell ours Sydney). Yours is so cute. My mom told me when she was sick, I am so glad she is all better. Glad we found you. We also have a blog...engars.blogspot.com.

Adrienne